Monday, December 7, 2009

Dear John...

It's coming on Christmas...

they're cutting down trees...


I love Joni Mitchell's song the River.


Her voice reminds me of you dad.

I don't know if it's the era she sang in or the words, but it's so calm.
so soothing.

I used to love it when you would sing to us each night.
After doing our prayers and before you gave us each a kiss.
This song means more to me this Christmas than it has in past years.
I'm missing you, for starters.
And life,
well.
It's in a bit of turmoil.
Last Christmas we didn't have you for the first time.
This Christmas someone else will also be missing the festivities.
You were a devoted father, husband and friend.
May we all remember and learn before our lives take a hard right.
Love you dad,
Missing you,
your daughter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how hard this time must be for you. What a sweet letter. Your Dad was obviously a special person and so are you for dedicating this blog to him.