Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happy Father's Day

I wish I could wish my dad a Happy Father's Day,
but I can't.
I do have lots of good memories of him which warm me on days when I feel lonely to talk to him.

And I'm a LOT like him.
in so many ways.
My dad was a ham bone! in a good way!
He was funny and silly and everyone laughed when he was around.
I happen to think I'm just as outgoing as he was
(--except I wear a one piece in the pool)
He LOVED to dance and he was a good dancer!
He and my mom could really dance it up.
Often others would stop dancing just to watch my parents on the dance floor.
my dad used to hold me and dance me around the room
to Kenny Rogers "The Gambler"
When I got older, he'd let me stand on his feet.
I loved dancing with him.
He worked at a hospital where literally it felt like EVERYONE knew who he was.
As a child the most remarkable thing about that to me was
that he cared more and spoke more often
to the "little" people than he did about all the prominent doctors in the world.
He loved the cleaning ladies and cafeteria ladies, the orderlies and his patients.
He chatted them up, knew their names and truly cared about them.
He always remembered little details about them.
I too learned from his example that everyone is important and worthwhile.
No matter their title or place in life.
Daddy was just plain fun!
He was always with us kids.
He didn't just sit around like the other adults.
It always felt like he enjoyed being with us almost more.
He never rushed me.
Or lost his patience.
He truly loved.
I aim to do the same.
Happy Father's Day to all the dad's in your life
living with us and in our hearts.

1 comment:

mamaTAVE said...

What a beautiful and special tribute to your father.
Just wanted to stop by and say "thanks" for visiting my blog on Giveaway Day last month.
Take good care.