Monday, January 11, 2010

Isn't she a beaut?


We bought our pumpkin a sewing machine for Christmas.
She's 5 and has a real interest in craft and sewing.
She has been using my sewing machine off and on
with LOTS of supervision!!!
Not really for her safety, sadly,
but more for the safety of MY machine!
After reading this post
I was convinced that I too wanted my daughter to enjoy the creative journey
and craft and sew side by side.
This machine is seriously basic.
Just straight stitch and reverse.
but she's loving it!
So far she's made a drawstring bag
which she promptly took to school before I could get a pic....
now I'm stumped...
what's next?
Any good sewing project ideas for a 5 year old?

2 comments:

Miller Racing Family said...

So wise to start early. My mom is great with a sewing machine but I never showed any interest with it. Now that I am older I so wish I would have learned that skill at a young age. Can't wait to see what she makes.
Have a fabulous day!

Goosegirl said...

Hi Kelly.
I am not sure how I found your blog, but I somehow arrived here.
My point, and I do have one, is that my 5 year old received her own sewing machine this Christmas too.
I found a great rag doll pattern free online at a neat charity site. She made her doll completely by herself and is now making more to send to Haiti.
You can see the project at my blog.
http://goosegirlsews.blogspot.com/
She is really excited about it and loving her machine too. However, she is driving me nuts because she wants to sew every minute of the day.

Have fun!
Sivje