Thursday, January 14, 2010

Remodel

Two years ago we bought a house and began to remodel it.

We were fortunate enough that the dates from our existing house overlapped so we could do the work while living in our old home.

My father was very ill and we were initially away when the work on the house began.
We were lucky to have a great husband and wife team on our side,
and we trusted them to get underway with out us.

The home was previously owned by the lady who built it with her husband 40 years earlier.
At that time it was at the height of the decorating world,
however, not when we got it.

Old style out, new style in...
This is my kitchen the day we moved in...
It's huge and spacious and boasts a beautiful custom island.

We can easily fit 20 people in there for buffet and it doesn't feel crowded.
We feel so blessed.

Not that we're going to have 20 kids or anything,
but we are going to have more....hmmmmm.....


This is what it looked like the day we bought it.
ummm....yeah.
dated and empty...

(this pic was taken in a showroom--not my home--hence the price tags)

This is the table set that started it all!
the colours for the cabinetry and the island were derived from this little baby!

We had the cabinets sprayed and varnished by a very talented cabinet maker.

took out a cabinet to make way for a dishwasher.
put in a very durable peel and stick floor found at Home Depot.

My cabinet maker put dividers in for my baking sheets...
ahhhhh... love him!

bought new appliances for the first time!
it felt like Christmas!

this is the wine rack hubby designed with our cabinet maker to go over the refrigerator.

the cabinet that had been there had to be shortened due to the height of our fridge and this was a great answer!

The lighting was the designer's choice. I love it now.

the colour gets mixed reviews

but we love it!

My favourite thing is my backsplash!

So sparkly and shiny...
and easy to keep clean!

Come back tomorrow and I'll share our bathroom reno!

9 comments:

Emily said...

Wow, what a transformation! I LOVE the paint color!! It goes perfectly with that pretty backsplash!

HMaas said...

Looks amazing - oh I really want a big kitchen one day! Oh and I love the colour!

The kids said...

I love the new kitchen, what a transformation!! I want one of those cupboards for my baking trays...what a great idea!

Mr and Mrs M said...

Have I ever told you how much I love your kitchen? It is so gorgeous.
I have kitchen envy....

Miller Racing Family said...

Wow, what a remodel. I love the lighting, the baking cabinet and the wine holder. It is the little touches that make the big difference.
Have a great day!

Emily said...

I nominated you for an award over at my blog!

Sandra said...

Oh what a wonderful kitchen! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Looks great!! We're in the process of buying a new house, this gives me inspiration.

Karin Schueller said...

Wow. just wow. GORGEOUS!!!!!