Friday, November 20, 2009

christmas ball placecard holder


I totally love them...
however I don't love the price tag
$$$$$
----------------------------------------------------
so I got to thinking....
and came up with a pretty comparable idea
First gather your supplies:
tape
rice/sand
christmas ornament
funnel
name tag (I used old paint swatches)
Carefully take the top off your ornament
seriously. be. careful.
I almost lost a finger.

well... not really...
but I did cut myself!
(I'll spare you the photo of that)
fill half full with rice
or sand from your kids sand box.

I actually felt the sand worked better--
but the rice is fine
and you don't have to put your shoes on to go outside to get it

That is, as long as you keep your rice indoors--I do.
replace the top and cut up a swatch card as your name tag.

I chose the one that was called Rosemary Green
because it reminds me of Rosemary Clooney
which reminds me of the movie White Christmas

(Songstress Rosemary Clooney with Bing Crosby and Danny Kay)
Tell me you've seen it!

if you haven't you need to!

okay so where were we?

oh yeah.
put a piece of tape across the back of the card to adhere it to the ball...
unless of course you're lucky enough to have a ball that has a double ring hanger
that you can slip the card between...
To make them stand at the position you want just tap it gently
or rub it on the table to even out the sand/rice inside.


TA DA!
----------------------------------------------------
now I came up with some ideas to mimick the inspiration ball

I just need to get the supplies...
a clear ball ornament

some of that awesome sparkly white decorator's sand

and some white acrylic paint to make the snowflakesI can see it now!
I'm dreaming of a White Christmas!

4 comments:

tara said...

Great idea. Never seen this one before.

Miller Racing Family said...

I have never seen this idea. But it is totally cute! I love how you used paint swatches for the name card, great thinking.
Thanks for sharing!

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

Such a cute idea!

Pascale said...

Nicely done! It looks great!
Hope the finger is ok...